Friday, July 1, 2011

Un-BEE-lievable

Another week in the books.  And it was a great week.  Was fortunate enough to have meals with several amazing friends.  Went to a few stores.  Everything went smoothly, except...

On Wednesday, the baby and I went for a walk in the park.  We are quite lucky to live across from a huge park with a 1.5 mile trail encircling it.  The park includes a huge pond with a large amount of fish, ducks, turtles, and other wildlife.  It is a really great place to bring kids and have a good time.

As the baby and I were walking around the pond, I decided to indulge the baby in one of his favorite activities - chasing the geese.  On this day, because it was so hot, most of the geese were at the top of a big hill underneath some trees that overlook the pond.  I began to push the running stroller down the hill after the now running and honking geese (why they do not fly away, I will never understand). 

As we went under the tree where the geese had been sitting, I suddenly felt something land on my forehead, and as I began to swat it away, I felt it sting me on the top of my forehead.  I flailed violently (seems to be a theme in my life these days), knocked off my glasses, shouted out in pain, and let go of the running stroller that was on the hill leading to the pond.  I was pretty sure my death was imminent.

Thankfully, I am not allergic to bee stings.  More thankfully, however, I composed myself in time to get a grip on the running stroller before it raced down the hill into the pond.  It would not have been a good day if my son had ended up in the pond.  Luckily, I didn't have to explain anything to my wife when she returned home from work.

So the lesson learned:  Do not let go when pushing a running stroller down hill towards a large open body of water.

Have a Happy and Safe 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you getting out in this heat! I've been staying inside where it's nice and cool. Would that be Carondelet Park you speak of? I love that park and the trail especially. If so, we're neighbors. Howdy neighbor. :) If not, I enjoy reading your blog and all of the things you are experiencing as a SAHD. I'm a SAHM expecting number 6!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm over on the Illinois side of the river. Congrats on #6!!

    ReplyDelete